Review the I-494 Corridor Commission's 2016 Legislative Priorities
I-494 is Important to the Region
- 19% of metro area population lives along corridor.
- 21% of metro area jobs are located on corridor.
- Largest number of metro area hospitality and hotel sites
- Major destinations such as MSP Airport and the Mall of America are accessed by corridor.
- I-494 provides access to the rest of the metro area through its connections to other major highways. For example, the I-494/35W interchange is the most heavily traveled in the entire region - handling more than 200,000 vehicles daily.
- 1950's and 1960's - contruction of various segments.
- Mid-1980s - six-lane portion of freeway reaches capacity.
- 1986 - Metropolitan Council studies corridor growth.
- 1992 - Draft of Environmental Impact Statement for I-494 reconstruction distributed
- 1995 - Final Environmental Impact statement released.
- By 1998, portions of I-494 are 50% over capacity.
- 2004 - Reconstruction of I-494 between Hwy 5 in Eden Prairie and I-394 in Minnetonka commences.
- 2004 - Reconstruction of I-494 between Hwy 5 in Eden Prairie and I-394 in Minnetonka (Stage 2) commences.
- September 2006 - MnDOT celebrates completion of the Stage 2 Reconstruction.
- No further projects are included in current funding plans until 2016.